VITAL REGISTRATION - NEW BUSINESS HOURS
To help reduce the rate of Covid-19 transmission, customers are still urged to use online or mail services to purchase birth or death certificates.
Requests may be made in person:
Monday - Friday 8am - 4pm
Mask is required for entry.
- Customers may place orders via postal mail or online via www.vitalchek.com.
- Out of Hospital Birth Registration is by appt ONLY. Please call 925-313-1125.
The main function of the Vital Registration unit is to register all births and deaths that occur within Contra Costa County. Certified copies are available for purchase after the document has been registered. They are kept on file with this office during the year of the event and the following year.
For births and deaths prior to last year, contact the Contra Costa Clerk-Recorders Office at 925-335-7900.
10 Douglas Drive
Martinez, CA 94553
Hours of Operation
Monday-Friday 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on 4th Tuesday of each month.
Still Birth Certificate — $32.00
Birth Certificate — $32.00
Death Certificate — $25.00
Fetal Death Certificate — $22.00
Disposition Permit — $12.00
The Vital Registration unit is also responsible for:
- Issuing permits to morticians for the disposition of human remains
- Registering Out-of-Hospital births (with proper documentation)
- Providing assistance and amendments to amend/correct a vital record
- Witnessing signatures and providing assistance with Declaration of Paternity forms
- Developing, producing and distributing analytical public health data
- Providing certified copies of death and birth certificates for events occurring this year and last year.
- Facilitate the Medical Marijuana ID Card Program for Contra Costa residents
- Funeral Information
- California Cemetery & Funeral Bureau
- California Funeral Directors Association
- Uses of Birth and Death Certificates
- State Office of Vital Registration
- California Courts
- Social Security Administration
- Veterans Administration
- Passport Office